Friday 16 October 2015

Well, here I am at my third host. Apparently we are on the other side of those hills called The Cotswolds, where I started my adventure. Can't say I'm getting used to this method of travel, I've only come from the next county, but I had to change vans several times.



 I have established myself in the corner of the kitchen my host says is her favourite, where the teapot is. She says she has another corner called the Diabetic corner where she keeps all her insulin pens, glucose meter, etc, she says she'll show me later.



I've just been introduced to all my host's insulin equipment. Unlike my other hosts so far, there's no pump. There's a pen for mealtime insulin, and a separate one for her basal. There's also a big diary where she writes down what her readings are, how much insulin she had, and what she ate.



No, I'm not preparing to go on a diet, We are cooking supper now, and I'm in charge of the scales. I thought we must be going to make a cake, but apparently Robin uses them all the time to weigh carbs like pasta and rice, to help her calculate her insulin accurately. Of course, being a fairy, I don't weigh anything at all, (though Robin did mutter something about having 'zeroed' the scales, whatever that means.)



We are having a bottle of wine with our meal, because there is another visitor here as well as me. Robin says this means she will have to check her bedtime reading carefully, because when she drinks alcohol it can cause her blood glucose to dip in the night.

Well, after all that travelling, and a fairy sized glass of wine or two, I'm ready for an early night. I've been promised a trip out and cake for tea tomorrow! DFx


No comments:

Post a Comment