Saturday 31 October 2015


My host was at work when I arrived so I got to spend a couple of hours with her mother in law, who lives just up the road.
My host is a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic and struggles to get her blood glucose levels low. So she was keen to meet the DF! While at the house some more parcels arrived for my host. Would it be anything good?

Stitch aka Donna arrived in the afternoon to pick me up and apparently we are going food shopping.
As Donna is still new to diabetes she still has to check a lot of food labels to see what's in it. She walks straight past all the cakes, sweets and biscuits that she used to enjoy, as she knows that she shouldn't have them. So there is lots of fish, lean meats and vegetables instead.
When we arrive back at the host's house her partner is busy getting decorations ready for Halloween.



My host then opens the other parcels that have arrived and she hopes that something in there could help her understand what else she can do for her diabetes. She was excited when she saw an item in there and proclaimed "yes, its here!"
She sat me down to have a look while she went to get ready to go out, as we are going to the pub for a quiz!



Their friend arrived to pick my host and partner up to go to the pub for a music quiz.
We found a good table then went and got some drinks. I was looking forward to having a nice drink but a glass of diet coke was put in front of me! My host then explained to me that she used to love having a drink in the past, but since becoming diabetic and taking Metformin tablets drinking alcohol makes her feel ill! So she would rather go without.

After a couple of hours and getting lots of questions right it was time for a break and some snacks. But as we were in a pub there wasn't much choice, mostly crisps and nuts. Donna chose a bag of mini cheddars, not great but she didn't want to feel left out. She did say she would probably pay for that in the morning.

The quiz continued and so did the diet coke! Its was a good night and the team came in second losing by just 1 point! Apparently they do this every week. They win occasionally.
Now we are off home and to bed as we have a busy day tomorrow, including a nice walk, shopping, lunch, a visit to a brewery and then a birthday party. Should be good! DFx

No comments:

Post a Comment