Friday 9 October 2015

Ta dah!!! Surprise, I'm hosting a 'thank you' party as I'm moving on.

I've had a great time contrary to my expectations which were quite frankly rock bottom. I feel I've learnt so much about Type 1 diabetes- and get this -diabetics look normal!

I've taken on the party catering myself as I've really got this carb counting/balanced diet business sorted. I asked Flower what her favourite and worst types of food are and - now let me get this in the right order - I'm pretty sure she said she loves a buffet with a selection of foods and nibbles of unknown origins and dubious carb content so that's just what I've prepared. She also said her carb nemesis is pizza so I've cut her a fairy sized slice. For dessert I've provided a selection of her most favourite biscuits, although she says they are usually for medicinal purposes only, and to accompany all that I've selected a large bottle of fine wine from the cellar.She says drinking too much alcohol, especially without food, can really cause havoc with blood sugar and increase the chance of hypos so moderate alcohol intake is the safe way to go. 




She's taken charge of the party games, there's 'Diabetic Jenga' 



and then her most favourite game, 'Operation'



No!! Wait, I never meant any of my meddling with your blood sugar to cause you problems, I was just trying to inject some interest and variety into a lifelong, chronic condition! Don't be hasty.... we can talk this over....

So what have I learned? Having to provide all your insulin is a tall order that goes on 24/7, it's a narrow tightrope to balance on trying to maintain good blood sugar control with all the factors that can influence results plus diabetics carry huge handbags (not sure about male diabetics). She says diabetes management takes up a good deal of time with blood tests, insulin doses, carb counting, food choices, exercise, illness, medical appointments etc, none of which is helped by often crass media coverage and general ignorance about diabetes. Complications are evil and we should do everything to try and prevent them, but being able to talk to others going through the same battles makes life so much better. Gosh, that's almost brought a tear to my eye, perhaps she gets all philosophical after a glass of wine and a lettuce starter!

Well, time to pack my things, I've a train to catch and can't wait to meet my new host/ess ,cast my eye around their life and pick up some more fascinating diabetes facts. 


So, it's good bye from Flower and Au Revoir from me. DFx

No comments:

Post a Comment