Monday 21 December 2015

Well, the basal change went ok with Adam’s numbers hovering between 9 and 10mmol last night. This isn’t really in target, but it is better than he usually achieves, and management is all about making small changes and watching to see the effect before changing again, especially basal changes as they can take a day or two to really ‘bed’ in. Ahahahaha, see what I did there? ‘Bed’ in? No? Clearly you’re not sophisticated enough for fairy humour.

Being only recently diagnosed, Adam is still in ‘Honeymoon’ – which means that his pancreas is still periodically spitting out some insulin, and could continue to do so for up to two years post diagnosis. This means his body needs less injected insulin – his daytime basal is only half a unit! – but it also means that small increases can have a big effect so they have to be carefully monitored, and that means a lot of waking through the night for Adam’s dad. He very kindly let me sleep through all of the up and down last night, which is a bit of a relief since we have a busy day – Nursery and then through to the Edinburgh Christmas Market to meet Santa!



Well, what a busy day! The first thing we did on arriving in Edinburgh was go to a restaurant to eat, which can be a bit tricky for us carb counters. Small children are notorious for not eating as much as they think they can (lucky I was around to help ‘share’) and Adam ended up only eating about half of what he was dosed for. I shook my head and disdainfully pointed out that they were going to have problems later, but got a knowing smile in return. Hmmm, there’s something going on there….

Next it was straight over to Santa! I got to have my picture taken with him, and he asked us all if we had been naughty or nice. I said nice obviously, since I’ve been such a saint this year, doing this community outreach and everything, and Michelle said I’ve been so good I deserve a stocking full of coal. Well I had no idea this is considered a good present this far north, and I’d much rather have a spa treatment, but at least she’s making an effort. We’ll be best buddies before you know it!



There were so many things to do at the market – we went on a helter-skelter, a rollercoaster and a carousel! I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun, although I did regret eating so much at lunch after all of that spinning around.



We even went ice-skating! They didn’t have any fairy-size skates – how inconsiderate! – and it was very cold anyway so I just tucked up in Adam’s coat and enjoyed the ride. He did well for his first ever try, though my snout was a bit squashed when he fell over! The children really weren’t interested in shopping, but I did get a little peek…



And where is the post lunch hypo I hear you cry. Well, there wasn’t one. In fact, as you can see from the below we had exactly the opposite problem:



Adam gets excitement highs. And today was certainly exciting! His correction doses don’t make a dent in his readings. The three readings were all while he was at the market, and yet an hour after leaving (with no further correcting) he drops back down. This is one of the reasons an insulin pump is on Adam’s parent’s Christmas list. It’s a 12 – 18 month wait at their clinic, so maybe Santa will bring it for next year. Perhaps I’ll throw a little fairy dust his way, grease the wheels so to speak!

And with that, I’m off to my next lovely host. Saying goodbye, Adam was definitely a little bleary-eyed, and I got a big hug. I wonder if my next host will be as glad to see me as this one was sad to see me leave?

DF x

No comments:

Post a Comment