Friday 18 March 2016

This is Ally (AlisonM), I thought I'd let you know I had a phone call this morning. “Ahmur at ra stayshun, come you an get me hame wi ye”. “I beg your pardon” says I, “do I know you?” It seems it's her maj, the Diabetes Fairy, she's spent the last few weeks at the Scots Leid School in Glasgow learning to speak proper Weegian. I have to go now and get her, excuse me...

... Got her, I'll let her take over from here.

Hmmph, so far I'm not impressed, Ally finally showed up to collect me, it seems there was a communications breakdown and nobody told her I was coming today. And, she had the nerve to tell me my Scots accent is worse than James Doohan's*, whoever he was. I’ve never been so insulted. To keep the peace I've gone back to my previous, more refined accents.

We went shopping. First stop, the Victorian Market for a lottery ticket.


This me, riding in style on Rolly. I must say, he's very useful to have around as there was rather a lot of stopping and having a “wee sit down” because of Ally’s aches and pains, I did rather mind having to sit in Ally's lap though, I think I should have a Rolly of my own. Our next stop was Yankee Candles to get a little something to go in with a gift for one of Ally's online pals she tells me we'll be meeting tomorrow in Edinburgh, then we went to the food court for a cup of tea and a wee sit down. We had soup as well, and I kept a look out in case anyone saw Ally test and jab (5.2, she says), but nobody did. After that it was off to Argos for something called a power bank, funny looking thing I can't see where you'd put the money. So it's nothing like a piggy bank then? We had another wee sit down there waiting for the thingummyjig to be handed over.

Then we went to a place called Markies (looked just like M&S to me) where we bought some supplies for the train.


And, guess what we did next? Yes, you got it, we had a wee sit down, lucky the sun is shining today so we could sit outside.


So this is Inverness? Hmm, I thought it was a City, looks like a little town to me and it was very quiet, none of the bustle I expected from a tourist trap. It seems the skiers have mostly gone home while the whisky lovers and ancestor hunters haven't arrived yet. Haven't seem much 'scenery' yet, the town centre is mostly below sea level and the buildings hide the hills. We'll see plenty on the train to Edinburgh though, Ally promised.

Tomorrow we're off to Edinburgh for a couple of days to something called The Edinburgh Yarn Festival where Ally will be meeting some online crafter friends for the first time and feeling up all the wonderful yarns. This is a good n she tells me.

That's it for now, we're exhausted and going to a wee sit down and another cup of tea.

Happy St Pat’s Day (for yesterday. Well, today, really, because I'm writing this today, but I will be posting it tomoorow, which will be today when you read it. Or possibly later.) DFxx

* For the youngsters among us James Doohan was a Irish/Canadian and played Scotty on the Original Star Trek, his cod Scots accent was appalling.

No comments:

Post a Comment