Thursday 17 December 2015

I have a rival! This is Rufus.



Adam was given him in hospital when he was diagnosed. Adam says he is a good diabetes bear who watches over him while he sleeps to keep the hypos away and has decided that I’m here to help Rufus do just that. Michelle raised one of her eyebrows so high it disappeared into her hair, and said (in an awfully threatening tone) “That’s right, isn’t it DF?”  I suggested a nice calm day indoors to keep those sugars in check all day (and hopefully night) but Michelle says no rest for the wicked. Wicked? Excuse me!



Nursery is excellent with sand tables, painting and lots of practice for the nativity tomorrow – I’m invited along! -  but for some reason Adam’s BG is always high while he is there and drops to normal after. Everyone thinks the excitement of being at nursery makes me shed a little more dust – how embarrassing! Adam is currently the only child at school with diabetes so his special paediatric diabetes team had to come out and speak to his teachers after he was diagnosed. Apparently I was very obliging that day by giving him a hypo during the talk, and the teachers were actually a bit relieved because they got to watch a hypo treatment in action. Thankfully I’ve kept my dust to myself so far today, and honestly I’m so tired from all of this learning that I don’t think I could make much mischief. I’m told it’s home for lunch, MORE playing then swimming this afternoon!



Bleurgh, eh, what? No, no I wasn’t napping with the kids, I was, err, meditating. Checking my eyelids for holes? Well ok, I might have nodded off a bit but seriously, these people never stop! Michelle says I need to stop sleeping on the job – we’ve had a mystery hypo this afternoon. Boo. The only sign was a sweaty nose! That’s a new one on me, but apparently a common symptom for Adam!

It’s off to swimming now. Adam’s asked me to join but I don’t think the water would be good for my wings. He certainly looks like he’s having a lot of fun though, and I’m reliably informed he’s doing front crawl, backstroke and trying to learn breaststroke! It’s not quite as impressive as flying of course but he’s doing pretty well. Michelle says swimming plays havoc with his blood sugars however, and is one of the types of exercise he does that has a long delay before the effects show so there’s quite a bit of  extra testing and some modification of insulin ratios required.



Hang on, ONE of the types of exercise he does? How many are there?! Am I going to have to do some? Oh, I’m feeling quite faint, I think a lie down is required….


DF x

No comments:

Post a Comment