Monday 1 August 2016

After yesterday’s all day cycling adventure I was expecting a nice relaxing day today and it was…in the morning.  However, in the afternoon Matt said he wanted to keep his legs turning with a short ride - didn’t he turn them enough times yesterday?  

Anyway, once again I was tied to the handlebars and Matt had replenished his stocks of gels although he did say he wouldn’t need as many as it would be a much shorter ride.  We set off in the opposite direction to yesterday and straightaway I could see hills…lots of hills.  Matt kept checking his Libre, occasionally whilst we were moving.  He had to stop sometimes for a gel or the energy drink from his bottle.  This could be partly to do with yesterday’s ride and he did say his blood glucose had dropped low during the night.  We carried on up and down these hills until we arrived at a place called Longnor and it was another café and another coffee although no cake this time.  Although I’ve had a great time so far I think I could really, really start to enjoy cycling - well certainly this part of it. 


It was then up and up and up, first from a place called Hollinsclough.

Hills!


Fresh air!

Then towards a place called Flash...




...but as we all know what goes up must come down.  As we headed down the A53 on a very steep bit I got rather scared as the Garmin showed a speed of 49mph!  I got the impression Matt was enjoying going that fast but I can’t say I was.  I would have put my hands over my eyes but unfortunately being tied to the handlebars meant I couldn’t move one of them.  You don’t think he would have done that deliberately do you?

As we arrived back home the Garmin showed we had done just under 34 miles.  Matt said once again he will need to keep a closer eye than normal  on his blood glucose levels considering the cycling both yesterday and today.

Well, I’ve enjoyed myself on the cycling trips in the short time I’ve spent at Matt’s (perhaps not the steep downhill bits!!)  I’ve learned a lot about exercise and diabetes – how enjoyable and beneficial it is but also how much of a challenge it can also be.  However, with a bit of planning especially in the early stages and some preparation each time (and use of the Libre if you can afford one), then everyone with diabetes can take part in some form of exercise and who knows, perhaps you could be part of a professional cycling team.

Now, I wonder where I’ll end up next?  Although I really enjoyed myself at Matt’s I’m hoping next it will be just a little bit more relaxing! DF xx

No comments:

Post a Comment